Have you ever stood in a shoe shop, and wondered what does ‘H’ mean in shoe size? Or while ordering a pair of shoes online, the specifics of the shoe of your choice give a measure of ‘H’ too. If you have been pondering over the ‘H’ of the shoes, you are about to get over your obsession with the letter ‘H’ on your shoe.Furthermore, nicely fitted shoes that are stylish and well-polished give your dress and your personality a crisp look. Be it a man or a woman, shoes that go well with your clothes and are clean, neat, and nicely fitted, add to your look for the day and provide a complete look to your dress.
While buying shoes, it is really common for people to have close looks at how the shoe is shaped, stitched, what materials are used.
The letter ‘H’ is a standard for your shoe size and refers to the width of your foot or your shoe. This ‘H’ is what makes sure that your shoe is well fitted and does not give a sagging effect after you have worn them. Allowing you to look sharp and your shoes to be perfectly sized.
Is ‘H’ the normal size?
The letter ‘H’ is not exactly a standard size, this size is for those people who have the awider foot. The size covers from medium to large size sections of shoes while the base of the shoe is a little extra wide than the average shoes. ‘H’ size is available at high end shoe stores or if you are ordering a shoe to be custom made for you. However, if you are a woman, the same width for you would be coded with the letter ‘E’
How is ‘H’ exactly measured?
To be extremely precise, ‘H’ size represents the width of the shoes, which are designed to fit a foot with the measurements 4 11/16 inches on the widest part of the foot. The same measurements for women would lie under the letter ‘E’. It is extremely essential, however, that this is not confused with, as women would not be able to get a proper fit for their shoe. The size ‘H’ is common in the men’s shoes only. Hence the question of what does ‘H’ mean in shoe size is answered. However, how do you decide on the perfect fit for your shoe?
Five ways you could get the correct measurement for your foot
Like our fingerprints, no two feet are the same, although you have a pretty good idea of how a well-fitted shoe feels in your feet, it is difficult to make the salesperson understand about the right size. This is true as some people like their shoes to be wider while the others are fond of snug ankles. Hence, when it comes to your shoes the fit and comfort are considered to be extremely subjective. Hence, below is a simple guide on how best to get your foot correctly measured so that you know exactly what to ask for the next time you go out for shopping;
1. Make sure that you try your boots on in the afternoon, and that too after you have worn these shoes for a long amount of time.
2. It is always best to wear your shoes on the carpet first before heading out to a rough surface, this would allow you to see exactly how they fit without showing any signs of wear on the boot.
3. It is always a good idea to wear socks that you plan to wear with the boots you are to buy.
4. When buying a new pair of Pull-on boots, remember that they must slip slightly on the heel region when they are new. A new boot has a stiff sole. As you wear the boot on a regular basis, the sole becomes flexed, and with time, most of the slippage you feel disappears.
5. It is essential for your shoe to be a little snug across its instep, but should never be tight. This snugness on the instep of your shoe is extremely important for your shoe to fit properly.
- Place your feet against a flat surface like a wall, and measure the entire surface covered from the base to the biggest toe on the wall.
- Tracing foot on a sheet of paper also proves to be helpful for the most accurate of measurements.
- Use a Brannock – a measuring device that is used to measure the width and length of your foot, most accurately.
- If your size is in middle of two sizes, it is highly recommended that you order half a size up.